Thursday, April 3, 2008

Post College Life

So I seem to have a hard time finding people to just sit and talk with me about the future. As of late, one friend of mine has been amazing at it, but we are both very busy people, and therefore that doesn't leave a lot of time of just sitting and talking about life. So I am going to attempt to put all my thoughts out on my blog, and then if anyone reads this, they can give me their opinion on what I should do with my life.
So first off this summer, I will be talking a few classes and working part time so that I can graduate without any debt. But I'm trying to decide what to add to my summer, I am either going to be taking a CNA course or a Phlebotomy course. Now I've written out the pros and cons, and even made a matrix, and it seems like I am probably going to be doing phlebotomy, but I'm still not sure if that is what I should do.
Whatever I end up doing this summer, will probably effect the job that I get for the next 7 months to a year. This leads me to after graduation. I graduate August 15th and 16th I believe with my BS in Exercise Science. Now as impressive as this may sound, I can't really get a job with this degree, so I am planning on doing some more school. At this point, either Nursing or Exercise Physiology. But I need a little break from school, and I need to earn a little money, so I'm gonna work for a bit.

Now after I graduate from BYU, I can either stay here in Provo, live with some friends and get paid OK for some job and in the mean time apply for grad and nursing schools. Or I can move, now where would I move? Well that is a good question, I have always wanted to live on the East Coast, so that is where I would go. By myself? No, I have a friend in my ward here that is moving back east for grad school, and we have discussed being roommates back there. Now that would be really cool, because it is scary to move away from the BYU bubble and be by yourself. So that would solve that issue. I can find a job just about anywhere, there are always jobs available, and the cities that this friend is looking at all have ample hospitals, where I can use whatever I get this summer to get a job, or I can do some type of research assistant stuff (Working at the library for 2.5 years has helped me in that area). As of lately, my annoyance with people makes me think that it might be a very good idea to move away from Provo for a little while.
So my first decision is about the summer, phlebotomy or cna? My next decision is about after graduation, stay in Utah or move back east? And then my third decision which I haven't really touched on yet is grad school for exercise physiology (which would give me something else to do this summer, take the GRE) or second bachelors in nursing?
I had a dream last night that was crazy, and I don't remember all of it, but in some part of it, I got hit by a car and had my legs crushed. And so as I was deciding what to do with my life, I had to cancel out nursing because my legs didn't work and I was in a wheelchair. Now maybe this was some personal revelation in my head. But what makes me so confused, that is my legs got crushed, my first thought wouldn't be oh no I can't do nursing school. Pretty sure my first thought would be, I can't run or play sports anymore. So that was a side note, but seriously come on.
So exercise physiology or nursing? This is a great question. It was nursing from basically day 1 of my BYU education, but in the past 6 months or so, I am thinking that exercise physiology would give me more options, and would just be basically rockin'. I am in an exercise physiology class right now, and I absolutely love it. It truly fascinates me. But I still don't know.
I think that in short I have now talked a little about all my options and decisions that I have to make within the next couple of weeks. So throw that in with my papers, test, and very soon finals, and hey I've never been more stressed in my life. Which is kind of strange, because I also feel as if I have less people to help me out and talk with than ever before. Just another trial in the journey of my life. I love trials.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

ya know, if you lost your legs you could be a proctor in the library for the rest of your life! that would be AWESOME! haha. not. anyway, i think you should get your phlebotomy course done, go to the east coast, and then go into exercise physiology. If that does work, you can always go back to nursing. bit it seems like thats whats interesting you at the moment. If all else fails just follow the yellow brick road. :)