Thursday, May 1, 2008

Roommates over the years

As I was walking home last week after a conversation with a friend about roommates, I decided to count and see just how many roommates I've had since I moved away from home 4 years ago, and that lead me to thinking about things that have had. So that is what this blog is going to be dedicated to in short. So first off, just how many roommates have I had. Freshman year-8, Sophomore year-9, Junior year-11, Senior year-10 Total=38 That is a lot of girls that I have lived with. And for the most part I loved all of them, and had wonderful experiences and gained amazing friends. However, I definitely lived with a few interesting people, and they are who I want to talk about.
Let's start with freshman year, it started out very normal, and I really liked all 5 of my roommates. A few weeks into the semester however, my roommate developed some severe homesickness and it made her a little crazy, and very emotional, that always makes for a very interesting time. She was a very nice person, but she got offended by everything and I am positive that her family thought I was the devil. Anyway, with about two weeks left in my first semester, another one of my roommates, who was way cool up to this point, got in a little tussle with one of us, that exploded and she ended up going completely psycho on us. She cut up a picture of us, and put her on another sheet of paper surrounded by guns and knives and what not, and put it in my food cupboard. So that was quite disturbing, and she teamed up with the emotional roommate and they did their own thing until they both moved out. Two new girls moved in, and they were both awesome. One of them and I didn't really see eye to eye on most things, but other than that the rest of that year was normal in my book (which is probably different than anyone else's book).
On to sophomore year, I moved into an apartment with 5 other girls. 4 of which knew each other, and then my room roommate. They all seemed really cool, but the 4 stayed very much with themselves for the first couple of months, and my room roommate had some very interesting practices, and I wasn't sure if she was ok. She was very sweet, and a very nice person, but there was something a little off about her. The story is long and detailed, but I end up figuring out that she bats for the other team, after much convincing, my other roommates agree with me, we talk with our Bishop, and so the story goes, but she eventually ends up marrying her "friend", gets kicked out of BYU, and some other stuff. So that was a very interesting experience which I am pretty sure I will never forget. I then became good friends with these other 4 girls and stay in contact with most of them regularly.
I then moved in with some new girls and one of the girls I had lived with the year previous who had become one of my best friends. Well things were ok for a little bit, until she decided that she hated me or something like that. Luckily I had 3 other amazing roommates that I loved that I hung out with and talked to, and basically made that year ok. The girl mentioned previously is now married and we talk on occasion, but I'm still not sure what I did to her. Maybe one day I'll figure it out.
Those are the most interesting stories I've got. I have probably 200 more stories I could write here, but that would be way to long of a blog.
So mostly to end, I want to say how I'm grateful for every single roommate that I've had. Either because of the wonderful friend that they were and still are, or because of the things that I learned by living with them. I am a much stronger, and a much better person today because of the 38 girls that I have lived with in the last 4 years.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

38 girls.. holy cow child. i had 5 roommates freshman year, 5 more sophomore year, 4 more junior year fall, 3 for spring/summer and senior year i will only add 2 to that list. 19 total. wow, that still seems like a lot, but much less than yours.

Rachel said...

I'll agree you've had some strange experiences-hey, at least none of them were legally married according to the state of Utah while you were living with them.

Sarah Gessel said...

You counted summers, too right? I wouldn't want you to forget when you lived with me.

Unless I was one of those creepy girls or married girls that you were talking about. Well, I know for sure that I am married to a man.