Thursday, June 19, 2008

Knowledge vs. GPA

As I am now only 4 credits away from graduation., and after just taking another final. I'm frustrated, and I'm frustrated because of the way our knowledge is measured right now. Your GPA is all that matters. Now how wrong is that. GPA isn't really a measure of how smart you are or what you learned in the class, but it is. This is what frustrates me. Not everyone is the same, not everyone tests the same. Some people have learning disabilities, some people have test anxiety (that's me). So it doesn't matter how well I know the information on the test, I just can't remember it while I'm sitting in the testing center. For instance, today I took a final, I got down to one last question, I read and reread the question and thought I know the answer to this, I put my pencil down on the paper, and nothing came out. So after 15 minutes of sitting there, I gave up and turned my test in. The second I walked out the door, the answer to that question and a few others came rushing into my head. And I'm not sure what I got on the test because the majority of it was short answer, but I know that I should have gotten an A on it. And I probably won't. That makes me frustrated. I'm not saying I'm a genius, but I'm a decently smart person, and my GPA definitely doesn't show that. And that is frustrating.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey, I was a bad tester, but I'm still a good person and have accomplished a little bit in my life.

Lisa Owens said...

After living with you I can say that I am a first-hand witness of your knowledge. Especially of lyrics, and other random things. So just so you know, I don't think you should be judged by your GPA.